Harira is a traditional moroccan soup made with lamb, chickpeas, lentils, rice and packed with a punch of flavor in every spoonful. Seasoned with ginger, cinnamon, saffron, and turmeric, this moroccan inspired soup is a great hot meal for those especially cold days.
The ingredient of Moroccan Harira Soup
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 9/16 cup rice
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes large, coarsely chopped
- 7/8 pound lamb cubes
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/8 cups water boiled
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- cilantro leaves or mint leaves
- ground black pepper
- lemon slices
The instruction how to make Moroccan Harira Soup
- Soak dried chickpeas overnight in a bowl filled with water; or use canned chickpeas.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Fry the onion, celery, and garlic until the onion is tender.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, pepper, turmeric, and a pinch of saffron, cook until aromas are released.
- Add the lamb, simmer for 10 minutes so the spices penetrate the meat.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, keep stirring until the tomatoes are tender.
- Pour in water, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the lentils and rice.
- Mix the flour with chicken stock. Pour the mixture into the pan. Continue cooking and stirring until the soup thickens, and the rice is cooked, for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander or mint leaves, and lemon slices.
Nutritions of Moroccan Harira Soupcalories: NutritionInformation
carbohydrateContent: 540 calories
cholesterolContent: 51 grams
fatContent: 75 milligrams
fiberContent: 24 grams
proteinContent: 14 grams
saturatedFatContent: 30 grams
sodiumContent: 10 grams
sugarContent: 470 milligrams
: 5 grams